This summer was so amazing. I was able to spend a lot of quality time with the kids and we had a blast. And though it flew by and we will miss it, like many of you, I am ready to get back to a more regimented routine. I definitely did not get as much work down as I had planned to and my bank account is yelling at me!
With the transition from summer to the new school year we have been looking at ways to help make every day life less stressful and more joyful. We have been setting positive intentions each day, making new habits and setting goals for the kids to focus on. And while working on this with the kids I got to thinking…when was the last time I truly sat down to review and update my goals? I realized it’s been a while and what better time to review and make changes than the change in season so …. guess what I am doing this weekend?
“If you want to be happy, set a goal that commands your thoughts, liberates your energy and inspires your hopes.” —Andrew Carnegie
So how do I set a goal that commands my thoughts, liberates my energy and inspires my hopes? I have to admit. I am working on healing my self-sabotage tendencies and setting goals then not sticking to them is a major self-sabotage more for me. I desire to be happy, inspired, successful and I am COMMITTED to making my dreams come true.
So how am I going to make this happen?
These are the steps I am taking:
1. Think about those things that keep coming up on my mind consciously and subconsciously. What do I dream about? What do I keep thinking about? What crosses my path often? What did I desire to be when I was a kid? When I was innocent and truly believe I could be anything?
2. How do those thoughts and dreams translate into personal and/or professional goals?
3. Turn those thoughts and dreams into goals by being specific with what it is and when I desire it as well as finding a way to measure them. (think S.M.A.R.T.)
4. Know how I want to feel each day. Write down 3-5 core desired feelings and when thinking about my goals be sure that they align with those feelings. i.e. My top 2 core desired feelings are free and evolving. So when I make a decision about a goal or really anything I do, I make sure that I align with those feelings. Will I feel free if I do this? Will I feel like I am evolving if I do that?
5. Write them down, make a plan and break that plan down into smaller goals and action items
6. Work on manifesting them
a. Set Intentions to manifest them, and pay ATTENTION to those INTENTIONS
b. Meditate about them
c. Include them on my vision board
7. TAKE ACTION!!!! Even if it’s MESSY! Nothing will ultimately happen until I take the steps to make them happen. It’s best to do rather than just talk about doing…. (this is another self-sabotage technique… I would just plan and plan and plan feeling like it needed to be perfect and it would put me into analysis paralysis and I would do nothing…. WELL that gets me no where near accomplishing my goal! – so messy action it is!)
8. Review goals on a regular basis & Course Correct as needed! My feelings and desires may change so therefore I will adjust my goals accordingly. And not feel guilty about that!
9. Be Grateful, Enjoy the process and Celebrate wins along the way. Life is all about what we make of it and Life is happening every day while we work towards our goals and when we do or do not accomplish them. It’s all part of the process and it is all something to appreciate. We learn from wins and losses. Celebrate the wins and learn from the losses. Either way be grateful for the life I have made.
10. Love myself! For who I am NOW! I am an amazing human being and an amazing soul not matter what my goals are!
When do you set goals? Once a year? Quarterly? Monthly?
What steps do you take when you set goals and work towards them?
How often do you review them and course correct if you need to?